Inclusive Practices in Early Childhood
Human Development Center now offers Early Childhood (birth-age 5) Training and Technical Assistance!
Intended for coaches, administrators, educators, and families, these trainings include the following topics:
- Overview of Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Evidence-based supports for successful inclusion
- Best Practices in screening and evaluation/diagnosis
- Family support and advocacy
- Follow-up coaching
The Human Development Center at LSU Health Sciences in New Orleans will provide the following services to any teacher in an early learning center who has a child with a developmental delay/suspected delay enrolled in their class. Please complete a referral form (coming soon).
- Observation session with child and staff at center (45 min)
- Debrief session (30 min)
- Written recommendations and feedback
- Follow-up coaching session with debrief (60 min)
- Technical Assistance using Practice Based Coaching
- Up to 8 weeks of intensive coaching for needs identified by specialist after consultation
Consultant is available to support family, teacher, or director to prepare for, attend, and/or implement IFSP/IEP as needed.
Autism Interdisciplinary Diagnostic Clinic
HDC provides interdisciplinary diagnostic evaluations to rule in or rule out an autism spectrum disorder. A team consisting of: parent, developmental pediatrician, psychologist, speech language pathologist, and occupational therapist completes the evaluation in one day. Full diagnostic report is available in 30 days or less.
Training to Support Inclusive Practices
Trainings are available in virtual or in-person formats and can be 1.5-6 hour trainings for up to 20 participants. Families, educators and administrators are welcome. All trainings are interactive and use adult-learning principles and techniques. Topics include:
- IFSP Basics/IEP Basics (2hrs)
- Understanding EarlySteps (1.5hrs)
- Collaborating with Your IFSP Team (1.5hr)
- Introduction to Autism Spectrum Disorders (1.5-3hrs)
- Overview of Evidence-based Supports for Young Children with ASD (3hrs)
- Family Support/Advocacy (1.5hr)
- Best practices in Screening and Evaluation/diagnosis (1.5hr)
- CLASS and Disabilities: Emotional and Behavioral Support (3hrs)
- CLASS and Disabilities: Engaged Support for Learning (3hrs)
- Evidence-based Strategies to Support Inclusion (1.5hr)
- EBP to Support Communication in Young Children (2-3hrs)
- EBP to Support Social-emotional Development in Young Children (2-3hrs)
- Understanding Adverse Childhood Experiences (1.5-3hrs)
- Milestones Matter! Understanding Child Development (1.5-3hrs)
Other topics available by request.