Post-Secondary Apprenticeship for Youth (PAY Check)
Postsecondary Apprenticeship for Youth (PAY Check) is an innovative collaboration between the LSUHSC-Human Development Center (HDC), Louisiana Rehabilitation Services (LRS), public school systems, and employers in the New Orleans metro area.
PAY Check is a 3 semester program where students participate in courses at a post-secondary institution, engage in professional career development activities, learn community and work-related skills, and gain employment experience through two 10-week paid internships.
Interested in applying to the PAY Check program?
Click here for the preliminary application form to begin the process. If you meet the admission criteria, a link to the full online application packet will be emailed to you. Contact Sue Killam at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Work-related skills include the following:
- Work-Based Learning Experience—Paid Apprenticeships
- Job Exploration
- Interview Skills
- Transportation and Navigational Skills
- Independent Living Skills
- Time Management
- Problem Solving Skills
- Banking and Money Management Skills
- Goal Setting
- Social Interactions
- Stress Management
Student Admission Criteria:
- Be 18-22 years of age with IEP or Section 504 Plan
- Eligible for LRS services
- Submit a brief description of why they want to complete the PAY Check program including letters of recommendation
- Parents/guardians must support their student to participate in community college, learn community and work-related skills, accept a paid apprenticeship, and ultimately support their student to reach the outcome of competitive employment in the career of their choice
- Take coursework at Delgado and complete two apprenticeships with local employers
At the completion of the program, students are placed into jobs with career paths that align with their interests. Our goal is for students to achieve a career they love.
Recent PAY Check employer partners include:
- University Medical Center
- New Orleans East Hospital
- Ideal Market
- Maurice's Bakery
- Gambino's Bakery
- Andrea's Restaurant
- Maaco Body Shop
Email email@example.com if you're interested in hiring a PAY Check intern.
Meet PAY Check participant Victor
The PAY Check program opened many doors for Victor. Get to know his story in the video below. Meet other PAY Check particpants in our Success Story page by clicking here.
PAY Check Partners
Louisiana Rehabilitation Services