Post-Secondary Apprenticeship for Youth (Pay Check)
Postsecondary Apprenticeship for Youth (PAY Check) is an innovative collaboration between the LSUHSC-Human Development Center (HDC), Louisiana Rehabilitation Services (LRS), Delgado Community College, public school systems, and employers in the New Orleans metro area.
PAY Check is a 3 semester program where students participate in courses at Delgado Community College, engage in professional career development activities, learn community and work-related skills, and gain employment experience through two 10-week paid internships/apprenticeships.
Work-related skills include the following:
- Work-Based Learning Experience—Paid Apprenticeships
- Job Exploration
- Interview Skills
- Transportation Skills
- Navigational Skills
- Independent Living Skills
- Time Management
- Problem Solving Skills
- Banking and Money Management Skills
- Goal Setting
- Social Interactions
- Stress Management
Student Admission Criteria
- Be 18-22 years of age with IEP or Section 504 Plan
- Eligible for LRS services
- Submit a brief description of why they want to complete the PAY Check program including letters of recommendation
- Parents/guardians must support their student to participate in community college, learn community and work-related skills, accept a paid apprenticeship, and ultimately support their student to reach the outcome of competitive employment in the career of their choice.
At the completion of the program, students are placed into careers of their choosing.
Pay Check Partners
Louisiana Rehabilitation Services