Governor Edwards Proclaims October “Disability Employment Awareness Month”
Gov. John Bel Edwards proclaimed October as “Disability Employment Awareness Month” in Louisiana. In collaboration with Louisiana Workforce Commission and Families Helping Families, the Governor’s Office of Disability Affairs will be traveling the state on an Employment First Tour, beginning October 10 in Lafayette. This is an opportunity for the office to host roundtable discussions regarding the integrated, competitive employment for people with disabilities. See the video message from Louisiana Governor Edwards for National Disability Employment Awareness Month:
“Disability Employment Awareness Month is a great way to emphasize the importance of the contributions of persons with disabilities in moving Louisiana forward,” said Gov. Edwards. “Our businesses and communities can greatly benefit from the integrated, competitive employment of persons with disabilities.” To illustrate the benefits and commitment to having an inclusive work culture, various activities are being held throughout Louisiana.
Employment First Roundtables will be held on the following dates:
- October 10 8:00am Lafayette Heymann Convention Center, 1373 College Road
- October 12 12:00pm Lake Charles Lake Charles Civic Center, 900 Lakeshore Drive
- October 13 10:00am Monroe Public Safety Center, 1810 Martin Luther King Jr Drive
- October 16 12:15pm New Orleans Xavier University, 1 Drexel Drive
- October 20 10:00am Covington Northshore Pastoral Center, 4465 Hwy 190 E Service Road
- October 24 10:00am Gray Terrebonne Parish Library, 4130 W Park Avenue
- October 27 10:00am Pineville Main Street Community Center, 708 Main Street
- October 31 12:15pm Shreveport Wyndham Garden Inn, 1419 East 70th Street
A calendar for the Diversity Job fairs being held across the state can be found here. Also, the topic for GOV Talks this month will be Employment First, and it will be held in the Press Room of the 4th floor of Louisiana’s State Capitol on Wednesday, October 25, 2017, at 11 am. To RSVP please email Jolan.Jolivette@la.gov. For more information, click here.